Sunday, December 22, 2013

Questions for a quiet morning . . .


Today I read  a couple of pieces around the transplant story. One about the night of an anxiety attack and one about our emergency bag. It feels like no time has elapsed when I revisit memories from that era. Like there is no linear quality to time after all – not in the sense of distance, of being able to walk further and further away from memories and the feelings they invoke. Time is a bunch of lily pads on gently moving water, like early spring. I land on one leaf  and am once again in the dark, alone with my fear, separated from Shan by the gulf of her pain and my anxiety. The memories are still in my body and I have felt that subtle acceleration of my breathing over and over as I reread my journal and let my mind drift from one lily pad to another. Was that scene from Vancouver or here? Before the transplant or after? Chemo in Victoria or Vancouver? Doctor Toze? Connor? Protcor? Wass? Sing? Rahti? Power? Sheppard? Where am I now? And what should I be doing? Saying? Feeling? Avoiding? Disguising? Misdirecting? Translating? Downplaying? Organizing? Clarifying? Where is Shan and what does she need from me now? Company? Food? Reassurance? Transportation? Medicine? Reminding? Monitoring? Distracting? Soothing?
Who am I? Who was I before this all began? Can I be that me again? Do I want to be?

No comments: