Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Happy Aboriginal Day

We celebrated early here on Cortes Island, and what a beautiful day it was: a clear sunny sky with a light breeze so the eagles could play above as we played below.
I spent our Aboriginal Day at the Klahoose Village where the children of the island were invited again this year for what I hope is becoming an annual tradition. We were treated to stories, songs, and prayers - offered in the traditional language and interpreted for the benefit of the non-Aboriginal guests.
Traditional skills were shared and the children were happily engaged in one or more activities. We did beading and cedar weaving. We made medicine bags and dreamcatchers. We made bannock and "Indian Tacos". We ate an amazing meal, including traditionally prepared salmon, all generously supplied by our hosts.


There were many lovely moments in this day, and one I will treasure was a private moment in the woods gathering a bit of cedar to put in my new medicine bag. I was thinking about the medicine bag hanging in my car, faded now after eleven years. It was a gift from an Ojibway neighbour in Winnipeg who gave it to us as we started our long drive across the country - to keep us safe. Lost in my thoughts, I startled a deer and listened as it thumped off into the trees toward the shore. It is easy to imagine this island in the days before contact. I watched the sunlight bounce off the water and for a second, I could almost see the great canoes.
As I sit here and look at the Circle of Courage above my desk, I am reminded that Generosity is one of the most basic and important virtues we nurture in our children. Our First Nations neighbours did it beautifully today. The children enjoyed and appreciated the bounty of the day.
These little ones will grow and learn more about the history of their hosts. Some of that will be hard to hear. And then, they will remember days like this one and realize the true depth of  generosity we all witnessed today.
The sun sets with a hopeful glow over Cortes tonight.

Monica is the author of "Thanks for chucking that at the wall instead of me."

No comments: