Thursday, July 30, 2015

Hague Lake Haiku


My seasonal love affair with the lake started up early this year. There was a bit of carry over, in fact, as I spent the end of each school day basking in the sunshine on the softball diamond, then dragged my over-heated body down the hill to be baptized in the fresh.
The lake and I were in full swing by mid-May and my first big swim of the season came about six weeks earlier than usual. I wondered if my enthusiasm would wane by now, end of July, height of "Stupid Season" as one local calls the busy tourist season that balloons our quiet dot in the ocean to a bustling epicentre of all things summer. But no, I've only lost some muscle strength - still nursing a slight shoulder injury from said softball. I can't swim the big swims right now, but that doesn't stop me.
I bring my equally enamoured dog, Jed, to the lake in the morning. I wear my Just in Case under my shorts and t-shirt. I should probably change the name of this bathing suit to For Sure: every morning this summer seems to come to us bright and warm. Jed and I tumble down the moss bluff to a new, recently discovered  beach, and the old boy takes his exercise before the heat of these days sends him and his dark fur inside to guard the couch.
Sometimes, my joy to be swimming in a beautiful lake every day is so intense I don't know what to do with it - besides the occasional mermaid flip. At least once a week, I wish I had gills. After a morning refresher, or an hour long swim in the late afternoon when my work is done, or an evening dip on a particularly warm day, I emerge each time dripping with gratitude.
Every day, I say good morning to my lake from the house - out the window in the winter months and from the deck all summer, over a cup of coffee. Contemplating the surface from above is a balm and an inspiration, but nothing triggers my creativity like the water holding me completely; the beach sounds muted, then obliterated around the back side of the island, the solitude, the complete tranquility of moments shared with no one but my lake.
I offer up a few fun verses in tribute to the other love of my life . . .

Hague Lake Haiku

Mr. Tanager:
Your head is disguised
by the crab apples you stalk

One hundred flight paths
cross our clear blue lake -
everyone going nowhere

We all love the lake:
The yoga dude smokes
before sun salutations

My dog swims with joy;
lake is his life-force,
dry fur is his Kryptonite


No comments: