Sunday, April 14, 2013

Conversations

The piece posted below came from a writing assignment in a workshop to "write a conversation". It was amazing the things people came up with. Try this one for yourself. Do a little eavesdropping. Well, a little extra easesdropping, then. Write it out. Or write one half of it. Look at it with no visual cues and see if it is the same conversation or not. Quite a fascinating exercise. But first, from many years back, I offer my first ever stolen snippet of conversation, from a table of 60-something women having coffee in a fast food joint. This was the only line I heard as I walked past: "You're the same as me, Gladys: my girls can do anything and my boys are useless." Now, how could I not write that down? http://www.sawmillmagazine.com/vancouver-conversations/

No comments: